Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 12th - Heather

1.  Vacation.  I can't believe how the time has flown since my last post.  I took some extra days off from work around Easter....not because I had great plans to travel - which everyone seems to assume when you have 7 full days off away from the office - but because I had three weeks of vacation left to take before the end of June and I couldn't take them all together.... hmm, that sounds slightly bitter...don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to have more vacation time than I know what to do with.

2.  Sleep...aka the "free" time to spend lazing about in bed waking and dozing, waking and dozing past the wholly indecent hour of ten in the morning....for multiple days in a row.  Even though many of those morning were made slightly less enjoyable by the nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I should be getting up and doing something (cleaning....work that I brought home with me to do on my "vacation".... reading .... more reading .... eating ... exercising ... damn this American notion of abhorring the pleasures of doing nothing and being still and silent).

3.  I'm thankful that the world did not in fact end because I didn't clean the kitchen on day one of my vacation....or day two...or day three....yea, you guessed it...I waited until the last day of my vacation to get inspired to be productive...then I did so much in one day that I needed advil by the end of the evening.  I moved my "tenure" chair upstairs (despite my lacking of the he-man strength to actually be able to lift the chair...I've found that those things in life that can't be lifted tend to roll rather well...even up a flight of stairs!!!!).  I finished my laundry.  I cleaned the kitchen.  I vacuumed.  I scooped the cats' poo palace.  And still managed to have some time to read a few chapters of Game of Thrones!

4.  Feeling like I had something to contribute to the book discussion group that I've been involved with at work.  There is a group of faculty and staff who have gathered to discuss a book the author of which will be on campus next week: Difference Matters by Brenda Allen.  I really enjoyed the book and was glad to feel like a valued voice in a group of people all of whom have more formal education than yours truly.

5.  That I was able to make it through the work day with a pounding migraine, come home and  knock it out with three advil and an hour of a near motionless respite on the couch.  Granted the down side of this thankful thing is that I had a migraine at all...which means my prescription has failed me...but trust me when I say (type?) that not all migraines go away so easily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment