Friday, March 30, 2012
Thursday, March 29, 2012
2. That today is my Friday. I'm off tomorrow and I am excited to spend the day at the Milwaukee Art Museum for Art in Bloom. I've never been to this event before, but it comes highly recommended and it's only four days. I'm hoping that going Friday morning will avoid the massive crowds that it seems will amass over last two days on Saturday and Sunday.
3. Flowering trees and the weather to make them bloom! Even though it's supposed to be cold enough to snow again tomorrow, the weather has been so pleasant that the trees have begun to flower. It makes me miss DC so much. Every magnolia tree I see reminds me of the magnolia grove at the National Arboretum and every other flowering tree makes me wish I could stand at the FDR Memorial and see the sea of pink cherry blossoms! Especially since this year is the 100th Anniversary of the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC! I still have fond memories of dragging my mother all over DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival a few years ago....I think her feet still hold a bit of a grudge against me!
4. Spearmint flavored (and scented) lip gloss...makes me feel a bit less guilty about eating onions at lunch today!
5. Lunch with Mary Beth. It was nice to head over to our favorite little Mexican restaurant (we were there Monday night for dinner too....they know us well! lol) and sit and have a quick bite and chat. I generally lack an appetite when I have a migraine ...but after living in El Paso for ten years, Mexican food is like the ultimate comfort food!
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
1. I'm thankful that the vet gave Edward a clean bill of health. Also glad that Edward sat so still for his last kitten shot!
2. I'm also thankful for our morning routine. Edward waits until I've finished using water in the sink and then crawls in so that I can pet him in between swipes of mascara!
3. Spearmint eucalyptus epsom salt! It's amazing! My bathtub isn't great for soaking, but that scented epsom salt makes it worth it!
4. I'm thankful for living close enough to work that I can skip packing a lunch and come home and whip something up. It's also quite the distraction with two playful kitties at home...but nice none the less.
5. The blogger app for droid. This is the first time I'm using it...but it's nice to be able to have the picture on the device I'm blogging from. (We'll see where the picture ends up being positioned!)
Monday, March 26, 2012
2. Of course, the next thing I'm thankful for is going to be the books that I just so recently acquired! The first is The Stuff of Thought by Steven Pinker and the other is A Year in the World by Frances Mayes. I love knowing that if I can't physically travel the world then at least I can metaphysically travel the world through such great writing as A Year in the World....it may be a detriment to my productivity until I've finished it. My last vicarious vacation was with The Lost Girls and it, just as a true vacation, was over too soon!
3. I am thankful for 366 Random Acts of Kindness. It reminds me of how loving and truly decent people can be! It also reminds me that I have much to be thankful for and the many ways that I can do more to give back to the communities in which I live!
4. I'm thankful to be in the position of feeling like I have more vacation time than I know what to do with. In my current position I earn 4 weeks of vacation at the beginning of each fiscal year (July). So here it is the end of March and I still have three weeks of vacation time to take! It really is a good problem to have, but none the less getting it all scheduled is only half the battle...here's to hoping that I get to spend some pleasant away from work time on these upcoming vacation days....I may even power down all of my electronic devices for an extended period of time! Oh my! What a thought!?!
5. This last week, one of my student workers had an incident at her other job (a daycare) in which a 3 year old cut into one of her braids. It happened earlier in the week, but I didn't hear about it until Friday. I am thankful that she is comfortable enough with me to accept my offer to come over to my home and have my mom cut her hair. Having curly hair I don't trust a hair stylist easily, so I completely empathized with her hesitancy to just go anywhere to have it "fixed"...and she was so busy that she really hadn't had time to attempt finding someone. My mom has cut my hair for most of my life and has cut the hair of many of my friends over the years....I was so glad to be able to help her and so very thankful that my mother is so good-natured about me offering her services and then going home to tell her what I've signed her up for!!!!
Friday, March 23, 2012
Today, I'm thankful for:1. The break in heat....while I'm glad it's not snowing, it's been unseasonably warm and I wasn't ready for it. I'm glad to be back in the 50's.
2. The skylights above my bed. It was amazing listening to the rain pound on the skylights and watch the lightening flash above me last night.
3. This new found desire to blog...I'm not sure why I haven't done this before now!
4. My gchat book club. There's just three of us, but you put the three of us in that little gchat window and we can fill it faster than we can read it...and that's when we're not talking about books...though we fit that in there somewhere too.
5. Amazon.com and "Purchase with Points"!!! I linked my Discover card to my Amazon account and was able to buy three of what JJ so affectionately calls "smarty pants books" with my cashback bonus points....it was like getting them for FREE! :)