Thursday, October 11, 2012

October 11th - Heather

1.  I'm thankful that, as a girl, I have been educated and empowered.  Today is the first annual Day of the Girl as established by the UN to bring awareness and change to the treatment of girls around the world.  I am fortunate that as a girl child my ability to be educated was never challenged and my voice was never silenced!

2.  I'm thankful to have grown up around people who not only refused to silence my voice, but encouraged me to speak...even when I was the only child in a room full of adults.

3.  I'm thankful that I have lived in a country where women and girls were idolized and that I currently live in a country where women and girls and encouraged to find opportunities to become more than they were as a gender historically.

4.  I'm thankful for having known men that monopolize and mistreat their women only because I know it's easy to think social problems like this doesn't exsist if you don't see them first hand.  While I haven't been on the receiving end of such treatment, I've seen it in the lives of friends and family-friends over the years.

5.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to mentor girls younger than myself, so that they may have the encouragement that I had that leads them to empowerment.  Many of the girls (who are now women) would have found empowerment without me in their lives, but I'm thankful to have been a part of their journey as we all work towards accomplishing wonderful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment